College qualifications vary, but can typically include:
- Sixth Form: A-levels & BTECs
- T-Levels (selectively from 2020)
- Certificates & Diplomas
- Higher Education
In going to college after school, you are choosing to embark on further education or an apprenticeship in a new learning environment.
Your choice of where to go to college could be influenced by a number of factors including:
- location / catchment area restrictions
- student numbers
- travel arrangements
- student age range
- choice of subjects
- leaving school (a fresh start, new teachers and new friends)
- course structure
- social / extra-curricular activities
However, your next career path (e.g. Uni) could also influence your decision so research this carefully before choosing if, what and where to study.
The main colleges are listed below. Each has a BS or BA postcode as part of the Careersnearhere.com criteria for being local to the area.
Click on each one to find out what they offer. Most deliver a wide range of post 16 subjects and pathways, whilst some offer specialist courses. The individual websites will explain further:
Access Creative College
Bristol City Community Trust
Bristol Rovers Community Trust
Bristol School of Art
City of Bristol College
MPCT – Military Preparation College
Reflections Training Academy
South Gloucestershire & Stroud College (SGS – Filton)
Wiltshire College, Trowbridge
There are also several theological colleges in the region.
Each college website should list the available subjects, open evenings, contact details and the application process. Remember to also check for any admissions criteria as this will be worth researching carefully before making any decisions.
To compare colleges, why not research websites including Ofsted and the government’s (Further Education) FE choices performance tables.
And take a look around Careersnearhere.com as the colleges can also advertise relevant courses (for free) under the industry / career sectors:
- Inspiration noticeboards – e.g. open evenings & subject talks
- Academic noticeboards – relevant courses
- Apprenticeships noticeboards – relevant vacancies
There are many Government websites if you search under further education courses, education and 16-19 provision.
On Careersnearhere.com, why not also take a look at the links at the bottom of the screen for:
- Sixth Form and other headings under Post 16 Options
- Higher Education and other headings under Post 18 Options
- Applications and other headings under Tips
- Careers Advice & Guidance Online and other headings under Help
It’s Your Future – Let’s Get It Started!
Disclaimer – Click Here